Monday, May 17, 2010

Interview

This is my first post about my adventures on the Japanese Exchange and Teaching program. For anybody interested here are some of the details about the interview:

After passing through security at the consulate, I was made to sit in a lobby outside the interview room. There was a lot of JET literature around the tables and a welcome video about the JET program playing on a nice HDTV. The interview panel was running late by about 10 minutes, but it was alright because I had befriended another applicant while waiting in the lobby.

Sure enough, I was called into the interview room. There was a single chair parked 10 feet away from a couple tables where three panelists were waiting. I shook each of their hands, introduced myself and then sat down. The panel was made up of a Japanese man and woman, and the JET coordinator of my consulate.

Some of the questions I can remember:

Why did you choose JET?

Why did you choose Japan?

How would you feel if you were located in a very rural area?

What are your career goals?

What do you hope to gain through the JET Program?

If you could bring only one item to Japan, what would it be?

Why did you choose the 3 preferences for location on your application?

What's the most important trait a teacher needs to succeed?

Could please do a sample lesson on where you are from? (I did, and it was hilarious)

What would you do if you were put in the northern part of Hokkaido?
-I answered: I would buy the thickest coat I could find, and set my kitchen table on fire for warmth. (they laughed a lot at this answer)

Interview Tips:
-Know thyself (hehe)
-Appear energetic and happy (even it you are nervous as hell)
-Shake hands with the panel before and after the interview
-Know your application backwards and forwards

I think that's a pretty good first post. Comment or email me if you have questions because I am sure there is more I forgot to say.

1 comment:

  1. thankyou i just had my interview in melbourne last week and found your post to be very helpful :)

    ReplyDelete